The lemon juice give a bit of a sour taste and citric acid is supposed to be a natural exfoliant. Remember, the more juice you use the more your sugar will dissolve, so add more sugar to suit. I like to mix the sugar because I find that brown sugar alone does not get everything exfoliated, but with the smaller granulated crystals, you get a lot more work done with less product. Honey is a hmuectant so it helps with keeping things moist, a good substitute for honey is golden syrup.
As you all also know by now I love coconut oil over olive oil and thus I used it in my scrub, but feel free to use olive oil. I went with measurement in teaspons and eye-balled the rest. I wasn't being very specific and you really don't need to be.
What you will need:
2 parts Coconut oil or Olive oil
1/2 of lemon/lime
2 - 3 parts Brown sugar
1 - 2 parts Granulated sugar
1 part Golden syrup, or honey or any liquid sweetener
- Mix the brown and white sugar together in a bowl.
- In another bowl (or cup), combine the cocnut oil (I used 2 capfuls), half of a lemon, and a teaspoon of Lyons Golden syrup.
- Add your liquid mixture to your sugar and mix until well combined.
- If your product is too liquid, then add more brown sugar, if it is too stiff, add more liquid (either oil or juice).
- Store your scrub in an airtight container, or use right away to exfoliate dry lips.