It's that time of the year again, catchy pop songs, Calypso and Soca music, BBQs, fairs, fetes, beach days and picnics. You guessed it, it's summer! In this 5-part series I'll be helping you to figure out what you will need to be beautiful all summer long. Best part is that most of the items mentioned are budget-friendly and available in Barbados!
Let's start with Skin and Hair care...
Loving your skin!
1. MoisturiserI love the smooth feel of the Jergens Ultra Healing moisturiser, and my skin stays supple all day long. If you want a little bronzy glow you can add a little self tanner to this lotion too, or use the Jergens Natural glow version.
2. SunscreenNeutrogena Ultra Sheer dry-touch sunscreen. I can also use this on my body and it doesn't have that greasy feel. Or you can try the yummy scented Hawaiian Tropic brand which I also like. Don't forget to reapply throughout the day either!
3. Refresher spraysAt first, I thought of this was a bit silly until I tried it. Hot sweltering day, just spray your face and you feel well... refreshed. I reuse an old spray bottle and fill with either water or Humphrey's Witch Hazel. The latter being my favourite for its skin benefits. Or you can try the Evian Mineral Water Spray or even MAC Fix +.
4. Lip balm
5. ScrubsSun, sea, sand. All of it takes a toll on your skin, let's not get me started in chlorinated pool water. The best thing to do is use a body scrub. You can DIY your own version or use one of the yummy scented ones from Bath & BodyWorks or Victoria's Secret. Did I mention that by scrubbing regularly it makes for a smoother shave and less ingrown hairs? Don't forget to scrub those lips too! You can try my DIY lip scrub for soft, moisturised lips.
Face masks are great for replenishing the skin, but don't expect results to be permanent. I like to use the Queen Helene Mint Julep clay masque to rid my skin of excess oil and clean my pores. Or you can use a moisturising sheet mask when your skin feels extra dry. Using a scrub then a mask gives the skin a "new" feeling, I just love doing that!
Hair needs love too!
1. ConditionerAll the swimming and bright sunny days can take a toll on your hair's health, be sure to deep condition it regularly with either a protein treatment like my fave, ApHogee 2 minute reconstructor or a moisturising conditioner like Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, depending on your hair's needs.
2. Leave-in conditioner
So you've deep conditioned but, that's not enough to continue to protect those ends. Use a leave-in moisturiser/conditioner. I like the spray type because they're really easy to apply and don't weigh down the hair, I mix my own. Or you could use a typical liquid leave-in such as this one from African Pride, or the Herbal Essences Split end Protector.
3. Heat protectant, Serum, Oil
4. Dry shampoo
Until next post...
PS: Click here to enter the current Giveaway!